Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Being Domestic

I was very domestic today.
I made Maple-Banana Pancake Muffins. Basically, these are pancakes in muffin tins. Perfect, little individual pancakes that you can freeze, and take out one or two for an easy, quick breakfast or pack for lunch.

Here's the recipe:
Take 1 cup of whatever pancake mix you have (you can make your own if you wish), 1 cup of milk, and 1 egg, and mix together thoroughly. Spoon the batter into a muffin tin, filling halfway (they will rise).
Then, add whatever you wish to flavour, if you want to. I added two skinny slices of banana and a drizzle of maple syrup.
I also doubled the whole recipe, to fill two muffin tin baking sheets.
If you're using regular muffin tins, bake at 350F for about 8 minutes.
If you're using oversized muffin tins, bake for about 11 or 12 minutes.
If you're using a baking pan (square or rectangular) it may take about 15 minutes.


I also made a new batch of yogurt. I make one every week, and Jaymi tends to eat one jar every morning for breakfast. I haven't tried mixing much with the yogurt yet, because she is just enjoying it so much with just a bit of vanilla.
I have tried mixing thawed (previously frozen) blueberries with it (along with the juice that comes with the thawing) and it was very good.


I made slow-cooker Chicken Barley Soup the other day, and froze tons of it - perfect for lunches.


And I did a first today - made 4 big Ziploc bags of partially cooked homemade french fries.
I have 20 lbs. of potatoes to play around with this week, and I also plan to make some hashbrowns to freeze, and who knows what else?

To make these ready-to-bake french fries, it's actually very easy, although it takes some time.
Just wash and scrub the potatoes...


Then cut into french-fry shape and boil until cooked through halfway...


Then lay out on a baking sheet and freeze until solid...


And finally, put into a plastic freezer bag.
When you're ready to cook some for dinner, just toss with 2 tbsp of olive oil, and cook in the oven on a baking sheet at 425F for 15-20 minutes.

No comments: