For dinner tonight, I tried something I have never done. I steamed fish. Have never tried this before, and the recipe I tried had so many wonderful flavours! It was so good - definitely a do-again recipe.
I used tilapia instead of halibut and I served this dish with brown rice cooked in vegetable broth - so good!
Steamed Halibut (or Tilapia) and Bok Choy:
4 pieces halibut filet or steaks, or tilapia
1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced medium thick
5 cups bok choy, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 cups mushrooms, shiitake, thickly sliced
⅓ cup scallions (green onions), minced
3 medium cloves garlic, pressed
½ tablespoon ginger, fresh, finely minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oil, olive
pepper, white, to taste
1. Slice onion, chop bok choy, and press garlic and let them sit for at least 5 minutes to bring out their health-promoting properties.
2. Mix together dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. Add 2 inches of water to the bottom of a steamer and bring to a boil.
4. Layer the onion, bok choy, mushrooms, and halibut or tilapia, in this order, in the steamer basket. Cover, and steam for about 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle a little salt and white pepper over halibut before steaming.
5. Serve on a platter with halibut nestled on top of vegetables and drizzle dressing over all of it.
Serve with rice.