Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week #8 of the summer

Wow.
Only a couple more weeks left of our summer, and then we are back to 'normal'!

So, last week was mostly filled with Jaymi's last summer camp.  It was called "Acting Out" and it was a great little day camp that taught her about acting.  She really enjoyed it.  On the last day, the group did a bunch of little performances for parents.  Jaymi was in two of the skits.  In the first one, she played Gretel (from "Hansel and Gretel"), so I did her hair in braids, at her request.  (She has NEVER wanted braids - always says that she hates braids because they feel strange.)  I jumped at the chance.  They looked adorable.



For the other skit, she played a sign.  A weather sign, to be more precise. ;)

We spent a bit of Saturday hunting down a few garage sales, and found very little.  I bought a big container of bubbles and Jaymi chose a small bunch of jewelry (necklaces, rings, bracelets) for herself.  She loves accessories.  In fact, when we got home, we tried to organize the area where she has a mirror in her room and her hair accessories.  We have decided to do a bit more with it, and she is going to call it her fashion wall.

Sometimes she spends quite a while trying to figure out what to wear.  She also changes a few times a days sometimes!  A few days ago, she asked us to help her decided which outfit to wear, and modeled three entire outfits (complete with accessories) to choose from.
We ended up choosing the first one.





Of course, Jaymi also swam this past week, although not as much, because of her camp schedule (9-4) and the weather was a bit cooler.

She lost another tooth tonight too - one that was wiggly for sooo long. I'll take a picture of her new tooth gap soon.

Today, Jaymi decided that she wanted to be a princess, and for most of the day, our whole family had to be royalty.  Mark was the king, I was the queen and Jaymi was the princess.  She kept reminding me to walk like a princess ("princesses do not thump"), speak like a princess ("princesses do not say 'uh-huh' or 'wanna'"), and to sit like a princess.  We had to use napkins properly, and sip drinks properly.  I, of course (as a mom) was loving this pretend game, because of the fantastic manners that come with it!

I've been busy myself, preparing some premade meals to pack the freezer with, in order to make things a bit easier once the school year begins.
Beside learning to pickle, I have also been attempting to learn how to can.  I canned peaches for the first time!
I also baked a batch of blueberry pancake muffins, a batch of chocolate chip pancake muffins, and a batch of yummy cinnamon-maple donut bites.
I made lemon meringue pie for the first time, and my own creation of chocolate/marshmallow/cornflake squares (basically like rice krispie squares, except I didn't have rice krispies and I added chocolate).
I made a big batch of hamburger patties to freeze, 3 mini-meatloaves to freeze, and two full baking sheets full of cooked meatballs to freeze for lunches, spaghetti & meatballs, or meatball stew.
I also have been enjoying making and eating fruit salads.  Yum - one of my favourites for the summer!  Apples, peaches, bananas, and grapes.

And we have had fun looking at some very old photos and videos of our family and friends.
I'll share a few of the photos with you.  They're so much fun to look at.














No comments: