Thursday, February 11, 2010


Today was Jaymi's appointment for an E.E.G..
The doctor wants to check to see if she has been having seizures at nighttime - that look like sleepwalking. I guess they would be related to her tumour?
Anyway, she was very nervous, but did amazing. Especially considering that we had to sleep-deprive her for the test. We had to let her stay up until 12 midnight, then wake her up before 6am, and keep her awake. She loved staying up late, until she got to about 10:30 or so, and then wasn't thrilled when we wouldn't let her go to sleep. Waking her up wasn't fun either. She soooo badly wanted to stay asleep.
She went to school in the morning, and that was a great distraction for her.
I picked her up at 10:30, took her to the library to get some new books for her to read later, and then we had to wash her hair. It had to be freshly washed, dried, and brushed for the test.
Then, after a quick snack, we were off to the appointment.

They started by drawing on her head with a crayon.

Then, one by one, they stuck a bunch of wires to her head, face, and shoulders, with this really sticky conducting stuff. The wires were connect to this panel, and the result were on a screen.

I got to be in the bed with her, along with her favourite stuffie and Lovey (her blanket).
They also gave her some medicine to help her get even drowsier than she already was. The whole point was to measure her brain waves while she was falling asleep, sound asleep, and waking up.

They had a DVD playing (Horton Hears a Who) while she was getting set up, because it took quite a while.
Then they made her blow over and over into a pinwheel (making it spin) for 3 minutes. Do you know how long 3 minutes is when you're doing that? And she was fighting sleep at the same time. She kept blowing and then she would fade away for a second, then they made her keep blowing...etc..

This was her attempt at a smile.

Then they turned the DVD off, turned down the lights and I scratched her back while she fell asleep. They measured her brain waves for 30 minutes and then as she woke up as well.

She did so well.

The funny part, was her hair when they finished taking everything off.
Here is the before and after! ;)


...and After....

(a little messy and groggy)


M i k e B said...

Awwww! I've said it before and I know I'll say it again, but little Jaymi is such a trooper. She's been through more than most people 4 times her age and she's still keeping her head up. I'll be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers until you have the results. And after, of course.

And great to see you in a photo too! :)

Anonymous said...

glad to hear it went well! Great job Jaymi and I love the new hair style you had at the end:)