Friday, March 26, 2010

I guess we're doing an alphabet-ordered theme set ;)

I had originally planned on doing an art unit with Jaymi, because she is soooo into art and has wanted to be an artist (and a vet) when she grows up, for a long time now.
I had also been planning on doing a bird study once the weather was nice enough for a bird walk...around the beginning of spring.
It just so happens that we did the art study a while ago, and then the weather got nice during Spring Break and we studied birds.  At some point, Jaymi said to me, excitedly, "Are we doing alphabet weeks?".  I didn't realize that we had started one!

A - Art
B - Birds

So...Jaymi requested the next unit.  She chose Cats.

We're not going to do a ton on cats, because:
#1 - we have done a cat study before,
#2 - Jaymi has been interested in cats for years,
#3 - she has read so much about cats for the past few years,
#4 - and she already knows so much about cats.

So, we began this week, and Jaymi decided one day, to dress all in 'cat'.
:)


We learned today, thanks to this website, how to draw a careful, detailed, proportioned drawing of a cat, which we coloured in with pencil crayons, erasing lines that we didn't need, as went progressed.


We also did a fun game that I had found on the internet.  I wish I could remember where I found it.  Anyway, it's called Velcro Ball.
We just stuck some sticky velcro on to a light, ping-pong ball, and got 2 dollar store knit hats, and we threw the velcro ball to each other, trying to catch the ball on our heads, where it would stick.  It was a fun game!


Jaymi asked me to cut her bangs today too.  She was getting tired of them getting in her eyes all the time.  So I did.  I'm pretty sure (now that it's done) that I liked it better before, but oh well.  It'll grow back.


We also went to the new library that is closeby.  It has a cute little 'book' bench out front.

No comments: